Monday 1 December 2008

Aida (ENO)/August: Osage Country (NT)/Boris Godunov (ENO)

Saturday 22nd November: Aida @ ENO, 7.30pm, Balcony
Originally supposed to be The Tragedy of Thomas Hobbes at Wilton's Music Hall, I then decided that the thought of Aida seemed more appealing. Also I had been on a rather nice exclusive backstage tour in the afternoon and seen some of the set for this, and also for Riders to the Sea, which I was going to miss.

A mixed bag here, the sets were very interesting, bit like an accident with a kid's paint box, but at least an Egyptian feel to them. The singing was at times inaudible over the orchestra, but I this may have been due to the seats.

Saturday 29th November: Matinee - August: Osage Country (NT Lyttelton, Circle J10) and Evening - Boris Godunov (ENO, Upper Circle, D4)

August is one of the greatest shows I have had the luck of seeing, living up to every critic under the sun's reviews, and leaving me reeling from it even 2 days later. The set is extraordinary and the acting is superb. Also a very interesting comparison with T S Eliot's The Family Reunion. I will write a separate blog on this.

Boris was worth seeing for the chorus singing their hearts out, and for the performances of the principles bar Peter Rose in the lead role, who did not convince me. Plus Tim Albery's staging was minimal and failed to make an impact on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment